Saturday, September 29, 2012

Crown of Embers by Rae Carson

genre: young adult fantasy

Crown of Embers is the sequel to The Girl of Fire and Thorns, which I really enjoyed and recommend for those who love young adult fantasy.

I read this one in a day.  The short review:

1.  LOVED IT - so mad when it was getting over and I realized there had to be one more book - I'm only okay with it because I love the idea of being able to spend one more book in this world.

2. The romantic plotline just about gave me a glorious heart attack.  So well written, can't wait to see where it goes (although I KNOW where it will go, I just am excited for the journey).  The love interest is so crazy dreamy.

3. Still loved this fantasy world and, for me, the very religious element WORKS.  I think if you aren't a religious person and are annoyed by God being a part of a story, this might drive you nuts. Much of Elisa's power and thoughts are intertwined with what she believes God wants her to do.   For me, though, the heady psuedo-Catholisim/ancient religion just added a really interesting and relevant element to the story.

4. I liked what Elisa figures out about herself at the end of this installment.  I've enjoyed watching her explore what she can do and come into her own.  She feels very real to me.  The court intrigue that she has to sort through is well plotted and intricate.  Just good times.

Now I just have to wait until next fall to find out how it ends.  Sigh.



note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I keep forgetting that this one has come out... Thanks for the reminder (it's now on hold)! I'm excited to read it, especially since you loved it so much. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...