Friday, September 28, 2012

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

genre: young adult dystopia

In a future time, Charlie (a girl) is living as happy a life as she could hope for.  She's in the vendor class, so at least she can go to school and help her parents in their restaurant.  She has good friends and a family she loves.  Despite all of that, Charlie has a secret that could ruin it all.  In her society the language you speak - and understand - determines your place.  But Charlie understands all languages.  In a country on the brink of a war with a ruthless queen scrambling to maintain power, Charlie's safety depends upon no one else finding out about this gift - or curse.

Meh.  I think my problem is that I felt like the author was just trying a little too hard.  I picked it up because I think the premise is fascinating, I just felt like the execution was meandered between cheesy and forced - so much TELLING.  The romantic plotline, while interesting enough, also drove me crazy.  Charlie was so in love and then mad and then in rapturous love and then mad, I just wanted to shake her sometimes.  I liked a few of the plot twists and I wasn't completely bored by it, it just wasn't as good as I was hoping.  The ending was tied up a bit too perfectly, even with the little thread that tells you that for sure there will be sequels.  Not really interested in trying them.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...