Monday, July 14, 2008

Book Awards II Challenge


I'm so glad I found this challenge, since I was just talking with my brother last night about how I need a new challenge to help me stretch a bit (try out some "real" science fiction, is what he was recommending, hee hee). Here's the scoop:

  1. Read 10 award winners from August 1, 2008 through June 1, 2009.

  2. You must have at least FIVE different awards in your ten titles.

  3. Overlaps with other challenges are permitted.

  4. You don't have to post your choices right away, and your list can change at any time.

  5. 'Award winners' is loosely defined; make the challenge fit your needs, keeping in mind Rule #2.

  6. SIGN UP using Mr. Linky below.

  7. Have fun reading!
SO. Here is my list:

1. The Glass Castle (A Memoir) by Jeannette Walls (Alex Award )
2. Dune by Frank Herbert (Nebula Award)
3. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein (Hugo Award)
4. My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult (Alex Award)
5. People of the Books by Geraldine Brooks (Australian Book of the Year award)
6.The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Pulitzer Prize)
7. So Big by Edna Ferber (Pulitizer Prize)
8. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (Library Journal Best Books of the Year)
9. The History of Love (Borders Original Voices Award)
10. Regina's Closet by Diana M. Raab (National Indie Excellence Award (NIEA) for Memoir)

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Ooooh, what a good challenge. I may have to consider this one. I liked The Road, Hugo Cabret, and Thirteenth Tale (save it for October--it is kind of freaky).

Juliann in WA said...

I am amazed at how different all of the lists are for this challenge. I read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress and have seen many of the titles on your list but haven't read them. Enjoy.

Michelle... said...

We read the Thirteenth Tale in my book club - it was pretty good.

erin sheely said...

this is going to be a good one!

Anonymous said...

The Road was wonderful in it's simplicity. A haunting novel that sticks with you for a while after you've finished.

The Glass Castle was so out of control I had a hard time believing it was TRUE!?!?

I'm signed up to read the Thirteenth Tale as my 'new classic' for the Classics Challenge. I've heard GREAT things about it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...