Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Well Seasoned Reader Challenge

If Booknut is doing a challenge, I'm in. And here it is: The Well Seasoned Reader Challenge.

Rule #1: The challenge runs from January 1 to March 31. (No cheating and starting before!)

Rule #2: You must read three books. After that, it's up to you how much you want to read.

Rule #3: The books must:
have a food name in the title
OR
be about cooking/eating
OR
have a place name in the title
OR
be about one (or more) person's travel experience
OR
be about a specific culture
OR
be by an author whose ethnicity is other than your own (see, I squeezed it in!)
I'll leave it up to you to choose how the three books you read fit the criteria.

Rule #4: They must be middle-grade on up, but can be either fiction or non-fiction.

The purpose, this winter, is to take yourself someplace out of the ordinary, to go on a literary trip, whether that be challenging your expectations, discovering a new place, or enjoying the experience of reading about good food, places, and people.

My starter three books:
1. Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China by Jen Lin-Liu (how's that for four birds with one stone? Chinese-American author who writes about food IN CHINA. I read about this one on my library's blog a while ago and thought it sounded great!!)
2. Ava by Marguerite Abouet & Clement Oubrerie (author from Ivory Coast, graphic novel set in the Ivory Coast)
3. Hanna's Daughters (Swedish author, book takes place in Scandinavia)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! thats a wonderful challenge :D

i am such a brat... and all i can think of is cheating LOL! I m reading 'Like water for chocolate" I wsh i had read it in Jan lol! then i would have done a book LOL!

okay -- of all the option we need to satisfy atleast 3 is it?!

I will let you know if I am game for this one ok?! Take care!

Melissa said...

That first book is TOTALLY awesome. (I hope it's good.) As always, glad you joined up. :)

Beth F said...

Cool list. Can't wait to read your reviews.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Interesting list Corinne! I've had my eye on this one, too, but am holding off on making lists right now. Kind of overwhelmed. :P

morninglight mama said...

I read Hanna's Daughters-- my mother-in-law gave it to me really just because of the title! I really enjoyed it- hope you do, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...