Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

genre: young adult fantasy

As the younger of two princesses, Elisa has always been just fine remaining in the background.  Give her ancient texts to study and a nice array of delicious dishes to choose from, and she has all she needs.

Except, Elisa is destined for more than that.  She knows she has been chosen by God for something.  She just doesn't know what.  So when she is told she has to secretly marry a king?  What else can she do?  But in her new life she finds far more questions and intrigues than love and duties to perform.  It doesn't take long before Elisa is in a very precarious situation and pastries alone won't be able to help her know what to do or what role to play in a country on the brink of war.

Magical?  Yes.  A wonderfully Spanish ambiance with a history and culture all its own?  Yep.  An awesomely strong and capable female main character that goes through a believable and empowering arc throughout the story?  Yes. Did it really ever take me where I thought it would?  Not much at all.  I loved how it surprised me with plot twists and I liked the religious undertones that Elisa and her people have no shame of.  It did take me a little while to get into but once I did, I was engrossed.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...