Thursday, July 9, 2020

The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys

43220998. sy475

genre: historical fiction

Daniel Matheson has a pretty sweet life.  He's the son of a Texan oil tycoon daddy and a Spanish mother and on his first trip to Spain, his initial hope is that he'll find scenes worth photographing in between the expected embassy parties and cocktail hours.  But the Spain of 1957 is a complicated place, where Daniel as an American has luxuries and freedoms that the average Spaniard doesn't dream of under  Dictator Franco.  Told from multiple perspectives, The Fountains of Silence illustrates how complex and frightening life can be in a very restrictive society - and, most especially, the toll that silent memory can can take on an entire nation.

This book taught me.  The time period, the culture, it was an enlightening backdrop to a really compelling story.  I feel like I never actually knew who Franco was or what he did to his own people until now.  I loved the romantic thread, the characters felt fleshed out and intriguing, I liked the photography storyline and even though a few little threads tied up neater than is maybe completely believable, I'd totally recommend this to lovers of historical fiction.

1 comment:

Kim Aippersbach said...

That is a beautiful cover. I don't know a think about Franco and Spain at that time; sounds like this is a book that could draw me in (always the best way to learn about history!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...