Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

genre: young adult dystopian

The human race has defeated death.  Now that all diseases have been cured and all accidental deaths can be reversed, population has to be controlled SOMEhow. Herein lies the significance of the scythe: these select individuals have taken it upon themselves to deal death upon the world.  There are rules, of course, both for how the public can interact with the scythes and how the scythes can do their "job" and from what Citra and Rowan know about the job, they want nothing to do with it.  Until, that is, they DO start to have something to do with it.  And these two teens will soon find that the business of death is far more complicated that one could imagine.

This book blew me away.  I was engaged from the beginning by this probable world, by the pitfalls of immortality, by all the ethical questions that are played with.  Parts of it shocked me, disturbed me and shook me.  This is a book with violent action, with deep ideas and with heart.  It's telling that the minute I finished it I was out the door to the library to get the next book.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...