Monday, August 12, 2019

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (audiobook)

genre: fiction



If there is anything in the world that Enzo truly loves, it is his master, Danny. Yes, of course Enzo loves going on walks and he loves meal time and playing catch but what Enzo really loves the most is Denny.

Enzo is a dog.

One of the things we learn first about Enzo is that he’s very frustrated with the fact that he has a dog - so many limitations. Since he is our narrator throughout this story, though, we have the pleasure of listening to his thoughts on the world he's a part of,  on the circumstances he's privy to and, really, on the human condition in general.  Also, we learn that he is as obsessed with racing cars as Denny and this obsession leads to some pretty interesting metaphors as Denny slogs through one challenge after another, all the while managing to keep his eyes on the road.

I'm not a dog person.  At all.  But I really love the actor who is playing Denny in the movie of this film, so I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad I did.  It made me think, it made me feel tender and it entertained me.  Some of it got vaguely cheesy and repetitive at the end and the chronology felt a little scattered but sometimes I had to stop my audiobook and run grab my thrift-store copy of the book so that I could underline an idea that felt truly profound to me.  As a person completely uninformed about race car driving, I enjoyed getting a feel for the "sport" and by the end, I was totally invested in Denny and his family.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...