Saturday, May 25, 2024

The Wishing Game Meg Shaffer

 genre: contemporary fiction

Lucy Hart knows what it is to be lonely and forgotten.  As a child, her own experiences led to her finding the truest of solace in books - the Clock Island books, specifically.  In those books Lucy found a space where she could be brave and the kind of fierce that can help you make your wishes come true.  And now, as an adult, Lucy knows what she wishes for - to become the adoptive mom to one of the students in her school.  When a chance to make her wish comes true, even if there is the SLIMMEST of chances that it might work, Lucy know she has to try.

This books has a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket vibe at its core.  There is a contest and the winner gets the biggest prize of all. There is a strange, reclusive author living on a private island with the quirk yet strangely handsome illustrator, both of whom have a painful past.  Part of me liked the plot, I found it to be quick and interesting and someone tender read.  But another part of me couldn't really tell if this was a book for young adults or adults - because the writing style feels like contemporary young adult but the language and some of the ideas feel definitely adult.  Also, I felt a strange protective feeling for the young student that Lucy wants to adopt and it felt inappropriate, as a teacher myself, for a teacher and student to be so very tight and familiar and so it was hard for me to suspend my disbelief about that.  So, it was a bit of a mixed bag for me but overall I honestly did enjoy the idea of the magic in books saving us through hard times and that wishes really can sometimes come true.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...