Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Weyward by Emilia Hart (audiobook)

genre: historical fiction/magical realism


Weyward weaves together the stories of three women in three different centuries, all connected not just by the family blood in their viens but also by a love of the earth around them and the creatures on it.  Whether in the 1600s, the 1950s or the 2010s, these women have to fight against not just a patriarchal society that sees intelligent women as a threat, but also against specific men who fear that an interest in the natural world is a sign of a crazed or devlish mind.

I actually found this audiobook to be a very interesting listen, it caught my attention right from the start.  The three different narrators did a wonderful job and I appreciate stories about women choosing to allow themselves control over their lives.  There is, however, a LOT of abuse here, a lot of pregnancy/birth/loss/termination, each storyline is seeped in the real grit of being a woman who has to make horrible choices due to the behavior of men.  I found myself sympathetic and the writing was so lush that for me, I enjoyed the way that nature healed and supported but I can imagine that this story might be overly triggering for some listeners.

The touches of magical realism with the creatures and the mystery of how all these women were connected was just as interesting to me as the plot itself and the lack of any kind of romantic thread didn't detract at all.  It's a heavy story but one that I'm glad I tried.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...