Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Funny Story by Emily Henry (audiobook)

 genre: contemporary romance

When Daphne arrived in small-town Michigan, it was with her fiance, Peter.  And while she didn't know anyone, she knew HIM, and he was enough.  But when he dumps her for his "best friend" friend from childhood, not only does she no longer have a fiance, but she has no where to live either. Luckily, that childhood friend's ex-fiance now has a room available in his apartment.  Miles is the actual. opposite of Daphne, but as she tries to process her heartbreak and get her feet back under her, Miles might be just the kind of friend she needs.

Okay, yes, it's tropey: falling-in-love-with-unexpected-roommate.  But - it's also just good fun.  I still like this author's banter, although I'd say this one has less comical banter than in other's I've listened to.  I appreciate that the character's are nuanced and complicated and I loved the librarian/library vibe of this one.  I liked the small town, family-you-choose aspect as well.  The only thing that actually grated on me?  Why does Miles always smell like ginger?  It was brought up so many times that you'd think he worked in a cookie factory instead of a wine bar.  But that's a little complaint - Emily Henry writes a fun and interesting romance and if she wrote a new one tomorrow, I'd listen to that too.

content: more open-door-ness in this one than others of hers, pretty steamy parts and some language

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...