Monday, October 3, 2022

Cultish by Amanda Montell (audiobook)

genre: nonfiction

How can language be used to get people to behave in ways that can seem, to outsiders, as completely nonsensical? And I don’t mean people who dress in cosplay or who are obsessed with a sports team. I mean the sort of behavior that feels like it is on another plane entirely - where either one enigmatic leader or set of rules influences people to the point of being willing to move to a commune or commit suicide because of their beliefs. Cultish dives into the phenomenon of not just “cults” as we typically define them but also organizations that have characteristics that are a little bit “cultish.” 

If you find the idea of cults intriguing or if you love language and words, I’d imagine you’d find this book really interesting. I learned new vocabulary and was fascinated by both the anecdotes and the deep dives into more infamous cults and their leaders. It's not the most well-organized book I've ever read but the subject matter grabbed my attention.  Good listen

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...