Saturday, November 9, 2019

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

genre: fiction

Hill House stands ready to greet the four individuals, those visitors who don’t know what’s waiting within its walls. On the hunt for the occult, Dr Montague is on the lookout for the paranormal and mysterious while Theodora is ready for a lark. Luke is in line to inherit Hill House and Eleanor - well, Eleanor just wants something, anything, to happen in her life. After their arrival, it doesn’t take long for Hill House to begin to make itself known in unexpected and frightening ways, ways that will change all of them.

This one is a slow burn with spooky interludes that confused and creeped me out without ever being terrifying. I expected to be more afraid, honestly, but instead it played more with my mind. The writing wasn’t stunning but the descriptions of the house itself, the visuals it created for us as readers and the way the world shifted and tilted was really well down. The author kept me off kilter until the end and while I can’t rave about it, I’m satisfied.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...