Sunday, November 10, 2019

Books I've Given Up On Part 6

Artemis by Andy Weir - I LOVED the Martian so I was really looking forward to this it just wasn't working for me.  The protagonist annoyed me and while I liked the science, the plot just didn't grip me and I could tell I was getting bored.  Life is too short!

A Place for Us By: Fatima Farheen Mirza - Sarah Jessica Parker raved about this on Instagram and I tried it on Audible - I think that was my problem.  ProblemS, actually.  #1 - I couldn't keep names straight - so many names that are unfamiliar and sound really similar.  #2 - it has no chronology and I couldn't get a sense of when we were switching time periods so I often felt lost.  I think this book deserves to be read because I did give it quite a while and engaged in it but was done feeling frustrated.

Nexis by A.L. Davroe - interesting premise, thanks to custom babies and plastic surgery modifications, to be "natural" is beyond unheard of.  But our main character is. And it is ALL that she can talk about.  Seriously, that word "natural" is so overused and the writing is just amateur - I kept finding myself rolling my eyes until after about 11% I just gave up.

Unbound by John Shor - Too much telling, too formal, just felt flat.  This Great Wall of China story just did not grab me so I gave up, maybe sooner than I should've but this was two books I wasn't excited about in three days and I didn't have patience for it.

A Tiger in the Kitchen by Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan - so so slow.  A woman from Singapore who never cared about where her food came from decides she wants to learn to cook the cultural dishes she grew up with in her family.  Sounds like a good idea, yes?  But, nothing was keeping me engaged.  I had to work so hard to make myself read it I finally asked myself, "WHY?"

Split Tooth by Tanya Tagaq - I loved listening to her voice, she's a great narrator and it's an abstractly lovely piece of work, it just wasn't being the sort of "mythology" book I needed or wanted for my book challenge and I'm not invested in it enough to keep going. She's got a beautiful way with words, I might try again another time.

The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson - I read the first in the Remnant Chronicle series and thought to try this second one but it just felt flat for me.  I gave it 26% on my Kindle but found I just didn't super care, it was going too dang slow and the love triangle was making me irritated.  So there you go.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...