Monday, November 4, 2019

I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers by Tim Madigan

genre: memoir

What if, when you are at your lowest point, you find yourself suddenly in a friendship with a person who will only ever look for the best in you?  What could that do?

For Tim Madigan, it changed everything.

When Tim, a newspaper journalist, found himself in Fred Roger's office in Pittsburgh, he never dreamed that he'd create such a relationship of trust with the man that children all over America (including myself) know as Mr. Rogers.  Mr. Rogers who never raised his voice, always told us he loved us and had high expectations for all children, the man who honored our imaginations and respected our right to safety and calm.  This book is the story of not just that friendship, but how it helped Tim through several difficult periods in his life.

I cried so many times.  I cried for the tenderness I felt as Mr. Rogers really does always somehow get to the heart of things.  I cried for Tim as he goes through tremendous heart ache. It don't think it's the most amazingly written book on the planet but it was certainly readable and CERTAINLY made me feel all the feelings.  It made me even more in awe of Fred Rogers and MORE committed to living a life of seeing the best in people.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...