Monday, July 23, 2012
Mothering Multiples by Karen Kerkhoff Gromada
I am expecting twins. I am also already the parent of three children, ages 12, 9.5 and 7. I have breastfed all of them and so while the nursing part of having infant twins doesn't scare me terribly, being in CHARGE of twins as well as everything else DOES. So I was looking for a book that could teach me about the logistics of nursing twins as well as tips on the basics of parenting two infants at once.
I am so glad I bought this book.
I am normally a library-user but I had a feeling that this one might be a keeper. I was more than right. This is a keep-on-the-bedside-table kind of book. I read it cover-to-cover (nearly, I skipped the section at the end on raising toddlers because I can't handle that information right now :) and found it incredibly accessible. I really appreciated how positive and encouraging it is to those of us who feel strongly about breastfeeding (the book is published by La Leche League International so I expecting nothing less).
As I look at the sections that I dog-eared to return to later, I found the most helpful tips in these chapters:
* "Enhancing Individuality" - things I had never thought of about helping to create a unique relationship with each twin and helping THEM to be their own people
* "Breastfeeding and Birth Preparation" - birth plans, deciding beforehand what's really going to matter during/right after birth
* "Coordinating Feedings" - how to do two at once!
* "What You'll Need" - a realistic guide to what "stuff" will really make a difference in your home (living in a smallish townhome, I really need to not have anything superfluous around here)
* "For Mother's Only" - this was so down-to-earth, reminding me that's okay to feel completely stressed and out of control sometimes, with some ideas of how to combat it. I have a feeling I'll be returning to this one often :)
If you are NOT planning on trying to breastfeed at all, this one would still be good to get from the library, just to read the sections that interest you, I feel like the information is that good.
Here's looking forward to a few months from now :)