Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Witches by Roald Dahl

genre: children's literature

Grandmamma's stories about witches couldn't be TRUE, could they?  About how they look exactly like nice ladies but are ruthless child destroyers?  For our narrator, his grandmamma's clues about how to know a REAL witch when you see one are going to tip him off about the biggest witch-y scheme of them all. 

Oh Roald Dahl.  Your IMAGINATION!  I just never know what I am going to get when I open one of your books.  The only thing I KNOW I will find is a main character who is a child and whose creativity, bravery and ingenuity will save the day in the end. I love this.  We never even learn our narrator's name, I don't think, but yet his relationship with his grammy is so tender and he is so fearless when it's important that this was a total pleasure to read.  Parts SCARED my seven year old - I mean, burrow his head under the pillow - and parts had both my seven and nine year old sons laughing hysterically.

A tale for those who like their plots quirky and a little bit on the bizarrely freaky side.  We really liked it. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...