Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 Round-Up

Hello friends!  I'm shaking down the last year in books for me - I read 85 (not including picture books to the six year old, of course - I don't so much keep track of those).  Here's the numbers based on my tags at shelfari:

young adult: 33

nonfiction: 11
historical fiction:15
middle grade: 6
children's literature: 5

I completed one challenge this year: The Great Book Blogger Swap.  It was great fun and some of my favorite reads of the year came from the recommendations of my friends Book Nut and Library Queue.

I will now list for you the books that I gave 5 stars to.  Five stars means, usually, one of two things.

1. It was so riveting that I couldn't put it down.  Maybe it wasn't the most thought-provoking or meaningful book ever, but I was obsessed with it, so the author did SOMETHING right for me as a reader.

2. It made me look at the world in a new way.  Maybe an idea in it struck a chord with my own personal experience in a way that no other book has.  Maybe it's so beautifully written that I want it to be on my bookshelf forever.  Maybe it was just such an excellently executed good idea that I was satisfied and wouldn't change a thing (since I'm a really picky reader, in case you  haven't noticed).

This year, I read 19 books that I gave 5 stars to.  I shall list them for you now with a link to my review:

adult fiction/non-fiction

young adult

middle grade

I put stars by my top four for the year.  What joy I find in books.  If you read an incredible book this year that I MUST put on my list for 2012, please leave a comment and let me know :)

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm sad to say that The Wednesday Wars is the only one of those books I've read. I've got a lot of catching up to do! Happy New Year!

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

You need to add Okay for Now to your list for 2012!
Happy New Year!

Melissa said...

So, I read Lauren Oliver's middle grade book and kinda liked it, while you read her two YA books and loved them. Hmmm. Perhaps I should read her YA books!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...