Sunday, January 1, 2012

Fearless by Tim Lott

genre: middle grade/tweens

In a world where rules and blind obedience have taken the place of good judgement and compassion, there lives a girl named Little Fearless.  She spends all her days in The Institution, where she's taught to listen and obey. Problem is, as much as they try to teach it, she's not really learning it.  Little Fearless knows that she, and all the other nameless girls at the Institution, deserve something more.  Deserve families.  And freedom.  Of all the girls, Little  Fearless has the guts to find a way.

Fearless is a dystopian parable, a rather one-dimensional story of courage and how one person's faith can change everything.  I liked it, liked the IDEA of it.  I appreciated the arc of Little Fearless's  story but sometimes it fell into a sort of preachiness that disappointed me.  Certainly there are echos of Nazi-ish hatred and enforced conformity as wells as other dystopian fare.  I did like how clean it was-and I think my 11 year old daughter would be more receptive to the style than I was.

note: if you're interested in the content of the books I read, please go to http://ratedreads.com

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

It does sound like it might be a little preachy. I'll have to think about this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...