Saturday, October 10, 2026

Habits of the Sea by Shea Ernshaw (audiobook)

 genre: time slip

Ellie's childhood spent along the coast of Nova Scotia is one grounded in the love of the grandmother's steady presence.  When she sees something unnatural along the coast and swims to explore it, Ellie finds an island inhabited by only one man whose grief has broken his world.  When she returns to shore, far more time has passed with her grandmother than she'd expected.  And while this couldn't possibly have happened - an island that exists out of time and travels with the tides cannot possibly be real - Ellie doesn't know how to convince herself she was making it up.  Decades later, though, when a rumor of a floating island reaches her ears, Ellie doesn't know how to ignore her own lived experience anymore.

What a mixed bag.  It is atmospheric, YES.  I love a love story and a survival story and a time slip story.  I actually was all in with the ingredients to this novel.  But MAN I wish it had been edited better!  If I heard the narrator say the word "flesh" or "chest" ONE MORE TIME I would've lost it!  It's repetitive to a fault and it made this great story into a "meh" book for me, which is a bummer.  Ellie's inner monologue is literally a loop of thoughts that after I while made me want to scream "I KNOW" into the void at her.    BUT, again, the plot itself really interested me and I'm not sorry I finished because even though the ending was predictable, I like that kind of predictable.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...