genre: memoir
Having genuinely enjoyed both Hamnet and Land, I decided to look into O'Farrell's backlist to try some of her earlier work. This memoir seemed a good place to start and I was NOT mistaken. These stories are all, in ways huge and small, experiences that made the line between HERE and NOT HERE feel slim indeed. As a person who has twice been in an ambulance - the first time knowing I’d just cheated death and the second unaware that I was actively dying, these stories struck some very tender chords. Her writing IS lyrical. She is a storyteller and isn’t rushing to the point. She is giving us a visceral look at what it is to stare death in the face and then manage to still be here. I found it completely compelling and I’m even more sure that her writing is exactly what I enjoy and appreciate.

























No comments:
Post a Comment