Monday, October 21, 2024

The Book of Witching by C. J. Cooke (audiobook)

genre: historical fantasy

On the remote Orkney Islands in the 1600s, a young mother uses her knowledge of spells and healing for good - even though she knows that the bad kind of witchcraft exists.  In the Scotland of 2024, Clem gets the worst kind of news when she finds out her own daughter is in hospital under very strange circumstances.  How these two stories will collide is at the heart of this book of witch trials and the kind of magic you can't control.

I chose this one specifically for a moody sort of fall book and it definitely had that vibe.  I was hooked to both storylines within the first hour of listening and I didn't want to stop!  The historical story is both political and violent in a way that feels painfully authentic, Scotland was a harsh place in those times.  It may be so political that some readers might get bored but it didn't bother me.  The modern story is a bit of a slow moving mystery but I was just as interested when we switched to the present.  The things we learn near the end were so intriguing to me and while I did have a tiny bit of a hard time letting my disbelief go regarding the actual "magic" in the book, I decided to just go all in and I'm glad I did.  This was a really entertaining atmospheric listen for me, just right for what my October needed.

The reader is exceptional, by the way.  Amazing accent to listen to that really surrounded me in the story.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...