Saturday, February 3, 2024

The Way of the Hive: A Honey Bee's Story by Jay Hosler

 genre: graphic novel

This book came to my attention because my two fifth grade sons are reading it as a part of Battle of the Books for the state of Maryland.   When they both told me they really enjoyed it, I thought I would give it a try and I'm glad I did!  It's a fascinating explanation of the life cycles of bees - scientifically accurate but made palatable to younger reader.   It does not shy away from the life-and-death reality of nature's birth and rebirth cycles and there were three different occasions where I was sort of stopped in my tracks by the tenderness and beauty here that was reflected in the way that a bee's existence is entirely focused around the good of the whole hive.  The dialogue is a little cheesy sometimes but the science here is spot on and I learned a lot while being surprisingly entertained.  Four solid stars.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...