Monday, September 27, 2021

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid (audiobook)

 genre: historical fiction

The Riva kids: Nina, Jay, Hud and Kit, have always lived in Malibu.  It's where they grew up, it's where they've settled as young adults.  When the eldest sibling, Nina, throws her annual bash at the end of the summer of 1983, they have no idea that this one party is going to change everything.  

I don't want to say any more than that because this book was so interesting as it unpeeled, layer by layer.  The book has chapters in the "present" day of 1983 but also goes back, back in time, helping us to understand why 1983 IS the way it IS for the four Rivas.   The characters are complex.  I love how this book, like Daisy and the Six, explores celebrity and how it can change and break people.  I loved the beachside surfer vibe, the focus on family ties, the way this book would surprise me with moments of tenderness.  The writing really is so good.  I loved, LOVED, how it ended, and that's not easy.  I would highly recommend this book but I have to warn you that it is full of f-bombs and has many sexual references is well - it's an adult book telling an adult story.  But dang, I finished it feeling so proud of those Rivas. And wanting to visit Malibu.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...