Thursday, July 8, 2021

The Electric Kingdom by David Arnold

genre: young adult science fiction

Nico’s world has been confined to the Farmhouse, but even after eighteen years, this doesn’t bother her at all. The Farmhouse is safety from the plague of flies that have decimated the population of humans on earth. The Farmhouse is where her father's stories live, and those stories are now going to be a roadmap to…what? Nico doesn’t even really know.

The people that Nico will meet as she travels across New England to her uncertain destination, the other narrators of the story that have their own journeys to take, the world that is just the carcass left over after unthinkable tragedy, all of this is The Electric Kingdom. But it is also depth and passion, it is finding the value of art and time and knowing there is someone out there that KNOWS you. It is the chronology of a life and the possibility for even more.

This book is the first in a surprisingly long time that has grabbed me and refused to let me go. It is intriguing and beautifully written, it stretched my brain and I was so happy to let my disbelief go and enjoy the ride. While one or two things confused me enough to make me pause, it was only in the kind of way that makes you think you'll just have to read it again.  It’s a lovely confluence of post-apocalyptic life, pandemic terror, powerful character building, sci-fi time warps and the power of compassion and companionship. Storytelling that hit the spot.

note: strong language

1 comment:

Kim Aippersbach said...

Sounds very intriguing, and what a cover! The description reminded me a bit of an older post-apocalyptic novel called Restoring Harmony, by Joelle Anthony, though this one sounds darker and more mind-bendy. I can't stop looking at that cover! Might have to buy the book just so I can have that piece of art on my shelf!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...