Saturday, June 5, 2021

Why We Swim by Bonnie Tsui

 genre: non-fiction

As a person who has loved the water for as long as she could remember, I found myself drawn to this book about how humans have interacted with water - in ways both beautiful and disastrous.  Bonnie Tsui, as a swimmer and as a journalist, dives deep (see what I did there?) into not just how we swim but into how water can be such a deeply emotional and encompassing part of life here on earth.

It's so readable, so interesting.  I learned about things I didn't even know where out there to learn about.  She took me all over the world and into the minds of different kinds of people and through it all - swimming - people in water, near water, experiencing water.  And I was all in.  Some of it I found really wanted to talk about with people, ideas of our human history and all the different ways we have evolved to live with a substance that can sustains us as easily as kill us.  It's a fascinating thing and while the subject may not interest everyone as much as it interests me, it is still a well written, if very niche, type of book.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...