Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (audiobook)

genre: dystopian adult fiction

Years after the happenings in The Handmaids Tale, the The Testaments gives readers the "what happened next" to the world that Offred left behind.  Not only that, but for me it rounded out this future world and gave it context - how Gilead came to be and how it interacted with its neighbors.  Honestly, I found this audio production fascinating.  We hear the "testimonies" of three different women who were involved with Gilead in some form and the way these stories are all woven together in the end, the consequences of their decisions - it's intense and all too frighteningly believable.  The plotting is great - even with the few little questions I had, it didn't mess with how much I kept my mind in the narrative. I loved that I was never sure what to believe completely, all the secrets and deception.  Who is in earnest and who is playing a game?  Whose devotion can I believe and will it last?  It just kept me really wanting to know how it would end.  So good.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...