Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Octavia's Brood: Science Fiction Stories From Social Justice Movements edited by by Adrienne Maree Brown and Walidah Imarisha

genre: science fiction anthology

WOW is this an amazing collection of stories!  All told by authors of color, all with elements of both science fiction AND social justice, in one way or another.  There are super hero stories and revolutionary stories and stories that are completely out of this world at all.  They make you think of what's possible and what might be coming if we aren't careful.  There are stories about the climate and about race and religion.  There are characters your root for and characters that leave you wanting.  There are activists and victims - governments and tiny enclaves of survivors.  

I am such a huge fan of speculative fiction anyway, I loved the slant of these stories, the possibilities they offered up to me, the way that race and social justice were a piece but a different kind of piece every time.  Of course they are some I liked more than others but the writing was super solid across the board and I particularly liked the essay about Octavia Butler and her influence at the end, how it wrapped up so many of the different themes and ideas.  This is a great anthology.

 

1 comment:

Kim Aippersbach said...

Ooh, this looks good! And it reminds me that I want to read more Octavia Butler, since I've loved what I've read of her so far. So thought-provoking and intelligent.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...