Friday, February 19, 2021

The First Girl Child by Amy Harmon (audiobook)

 genre: fantasy

There is an island called Saylok in a foreign sea that has been blessed by the Gods and that island's people have been protected by the Keeper -  those who preserve the ancient runes that help the Keepers connect with the Gods divine power.   Upon this island live a brother and a sister whose choices of who to love and upon whom they will exact their vengeance will change everything for Saylok.  There are curses and extraordinary friendships, secrets kept and destinies to fulfill.  There is a kind of blood magic that the runes can call up and change the physical world in the ways of Diety blessing their mortal offspring.  There is trust and there is betrayal, and at its heart is one girl and one boy and the people that love them.

I really knew nothing about this book going into it, which I'm sure made it more interesting, not having any idea which way things would go!  This is a Norse story, a historical fantasy that does a good job of blending early human history life with a kind of magical sheen, the Gods are direct ancestors and puppeteers, without being characters themselves in the play.  I found myself really caring about the characters, I always felt interested in where the plot was taking me and although I did guess one or two things, I didn't see all of it and the couple few times when I felt there were plot holes or I didn't quite understand what went down, I easily moved on from it.  I'm glad I finally listened to this one, the narrator was very good.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...