Wednesday, October 28, 2020

The Haunting of Brynn Wilder by Wendy Webb

 genre: paranormal contemporary fiction


When Brynn arrives in Wharton, on the shores of Lake Superior, she's been gutted by loss and is feeling unmoored.  What she needs is a summer without responsibility and a chance for her brain and heart to breathe.  Instead of taking a house for the summer, she rents a room at a boarding house that doubles as a restaurant and the cast of characters that she meets there will turn this summer into her most memorable.  What she doesn't expect, of course, is the strange things she keeps seeing and the voices she hears in her room - and they aren't the only mystery.  

So, I got this for free on Kindle First Reads and my expectations were just something sorta spooky for October.  There were spooky moments, yes, but it was also a romance that I had a hard time completely falling for because Brynn just didn't seem like much of a person, if that makes sense. I didn't understand why everyone was loving her and her company when she seemed sorta flat.  I do like the setting and some of the dialogue was witty and entertaining, so there's that.  But there are a lot of plotholes (especially near the end) and I really hate when authors feel like they need to tell me everything the main character wears and does.  I don't need details about mascara and the type of pajamas people are wearing every night.  I want depth and plot development and while this was interesting enough for me to want to read the whole thing, the ending was startling and then it was wrapped it up a little too loosely for me to finish feeling satisfied.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...