Friday, September 6, 2019

After the War is Over by Jennifer Robson (audiobook)

genre: historical fiction

Charlotte, working to help those less fortunate in Liverpool, made it through the Great War relatively unscathed, especially compared to so many.  When she's contacted by an old friend, old feelings begin to surface and while a new opportunity to use her voice for good is very satisfying, the past just will not Charlotte be.  In an England still trying to piece itself back together after the horrors of World War I, Charlotte's story is about the power of knowing what you want and being brave enough to make a difference, in whatever way you can.

I enjoyed this post-war story, it never digs TOO deep, it never asks TOO much of me, except that the hopping back and forth in time was a bit cumbersome.  For whatever reason, I didn't want this book to make me work so hard to figure out where I was in the chronology of the story.   But I like Charlotte's arc and I really liked that the story is far more about recovering from a war than being in one - showing us what is required from those that survive and how they had to struggle to move forward, especially those less fortunate.  The ending definitely tied up a bit too nicely for me but I was never bored and I would try something else by this author.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...