Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Tetris: the Games People Play by Box Brown

genre: pop culture history, non-fiction

To say my family was obsessed with Tetris for a while in the early 90s would not be an exaggeration. When I saw that there was a book about it's creation and history, I found myself interested.

Did you know that Tetris was created in Communist Russia?  I had no idea.  I had no sense of the legal battles that ensued either.  What I particularly enjoyed, beyond the actual creation of the game itself, was the look at gaming over time, at how humans have used games as ritual and as recreation. 

I had a hard time keeping names/faces straight.  The legal stuff at the end got pretty boring, but overall I liked the graphics and enjoyed learning about this piece of pop culture history.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...