Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The Lines We Leave Behind by Eliza Graham

genre: historical fiction, psychological suspense

When we meet the young woman in the asylum, World War II has been over for two years.  What the war has to do with her mental illness, what her brain is keeping from her, that's what she's trying to find out.  With the help of her therapist, she slowly starts to unravel the past, from her childhood in the Balkans to even more recent events, events that might help her understand why she is locked away.  With the backdrop of both post-war London and a foreign battlezone, her memories are the threads that will put her story together.

I got this one for free from Kindle First Reads and by the time I got to it, I had no memory of what it was about so I went into it blind.  I actually really liked it - I liked that it was set in a different World War II world than I usually read about,  I liked the strong female protagonist, I thought even the first-person perspective of a person with trauma-induced mental illness was really well done.  It's sad and it's mostly slow moving, but it kept me really interested.  Some of the psychological stuff was creepy and while I wouldn't call it a thriller, it was definitely suspenseful in a few parts.  Glad I tried it.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...