Thursday, April 11, 2019

Fortune's Daughter's by Consuelo Saah Baehr (audiobook)

genre: historical fiction

Faith Simpson was born in a life of incredible wealth.  Her father, Asa, was a stock trader at the beginning of the 20th century and their estate on Long Island was everything a man who'd made his fortune could desire.  Hope Lee, born on the Lower East Side to an Irish immigrant mother and Chinese immigrant father, had essentially nothing of any material worth to call her own but she had a mother who adored her and a father who loved to have her by is side.  How these two women's lives intertwine and the decisions that they make are at the heart of this prince and pauper novel the roaring twenties.

I started listening to this one and actually got so bored about the first hour that I stopped. But then I decided I wanted to see what happened because I do like reading about this time period so I ended up finishing it, being frustrated by the characters the whole time.  Frustrated by most of it, really.  It's almost a Forrest Gump-like walk through all the events of the time period and sometimes it just rang false.  The writing is clumsy and clunky and just...flat.  Gah.  And then the end just went all soap opera on me.   I probably should've just let it go back when my gut told me this one wasn't for me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...