Thursday, February 7, 2019

The Snow Gypsy by Lindsay Jayne Ashford

genre: historical fiction

World War II has ended, but Londoner Rose still has one unanswered question that will not let her be at peace: what happened to her brother that left their English home to fight with the partisans in Spain?  With only two clues to help her find his whereabouts, Rose heads east to find him if she can.   Along the way she makes the acquaintance of Gypsy flamenco dancer Lola, whose own hardships have made leaving the war behind impossible.  Together these unlikely friends will try and find Rose's brother while facing the kind of discrimination that the Gypsy peoples have fought against for years.

I loved the cover of this book, I think that's why I chose it from Kindle First.  Here's what I did like: the flamenco (obviously), who doesn't want some flamenco in their book?  The settings all over Spain are gorgeous and well-detailed.  I liked the peek into Gypsy life and the mystery of "where is the brother" kept me engaged enough to want to keep reading.  However, it was just so emotionally "blah."  Rose is lonely.  Rose makes a bad decision.  Rose feels regret.  Rose feels better again.  It just felt clunky.  Time goes by too quick sometimes and sometimes things happen so fast it's hard for me to believe them.  A big reveal at the end totally threw me and left me with a bad taste in my mouth for the book, honestly.  Too bad, because I love that cover.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...