Thursday, December 6, 2018

Stolen Enchantress by Amber Argyle

genre: young adult fantasy

Larkin knows what happens to the girls that wander into the forest: they never come home.  So when she must chase someone she loves beyond its boundaries, suddenly the forest and its creatures become very real.  It's not only animals that live in the forest, though, and unbeknownst to Larkin, there is something even darker at work.  When those offer help still don't seem to believe Larkin or trust her judgement, she knows she'll have to find a way to save herself.

First of all, this was a super fun and fast read for me.  I found the romance, if maybe a little shallow, interesting enough to keep me reading.  I liked the magic set-up and the Pied Piper-esqueness of the plot felt plausible in the grander world building.  I will say, though, that Larkin could be pretty irritating.  There was a lot of back and forth, out of the forest and into the forest lots of times, even KNOWING it was a horrible idea, which got a bit old and keeps me from giving it five stars.  I kinda wanted to shake her.  But the writing was tight, for the most part (except for an excessive use of the word "grunt") and I really did like the story enough that I would definitely read the next one to see where it leads.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...