Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Traitor's Game by Jennifer A Nielsen

genre: young adult fantasy

Kestra knows how little control she has over her life.  After an attempted kidnapping, the daughter of evil Lord Kendricks' right hand man was exiled to the Lava Fields and as much as she didn't desire to go there - she doesn't desire to go back either.  But go back she must, at the beck and call of her father who has designs for her that Kestra knows don't have her best interests at heart.  With rebel groups threatening to rise up, rumors of a legendary Olden Blade that can kill the purportedly immortal Lord Kendrick are beginning to seem more real than legendary.  Kestra is unwittingly drawn into a plot that will take all her wit and cunning to survive, if she can figure out which side she truly wants to fight on.

Great world building here!  I appreciated that I had a firm "historical" foundation right from the beginning so I understood what was at stake and where Kestra fit.  With three different factions at odds here, the story could've gotten mired down in politics or explanations, but I felt like the plot moved along swiftly and really kept my attention.  The romantic storyline was on point and both the love interest and Kestra are fully fleshed out as we switch between their points of view.  The writing was sharp and the dialogue flowed in a way that resonated with me.  I'd have liked to see a little more of the "magic" in this world but overall, I really enjoyed this first installment and I'm anxious to see where Kestra's choices lead her.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...