Tuesday, November 6, 2018

The Rule of One by Ashley Sauders and Leslie Saunders

genre: young adult science fiction/dystopia

In a world whose resources have been completely exhausted, Ava and Mira survive by hiding one huge piece of illegal information: they are identical twins.  Living life every-other-day, always pretending to be each other,  the challenges of that life were nothing compared to what happens after they get caught and have no choice but to live on the run.  Once they have the freedom of being TWO, they can't even stop to take a breath and enjoy it - where will true freedom lie?

Meh.  I have twins so the idea of this intrigued me.  It didn't bore me, per say, I just wanted more.  The world-building had a lot of flaws and I had to suspend my disbelief way too hard.  So many coincidences, so many times I questioned in my head if something was plausible. It just distracts from a book that is actually pretty well written with a plot arc that isn't that far fetched in a larger sense.  My only other big gripe is that we're always switching between Ava and Mira and they are so dang alike, even in how they think and act that unless they were together, I had a really hard time remembering whose point of view I was reading.  I don't think I'd continue the series but I might someday read a spoiler review just to find out how things end up for Mira and Ava.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...