Thursday, November 1, 2018

Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis

genre: self-help/memoir

I read this one because I know two people who have been very positivity affected by it - and I respect these ladies and the changes they are trying to make in their lives.  So, whether or not I personally loved it I want to acknowledge that for some people, it's super powerful and the exact motivation they needed to take charge of their lives in a real way.

For me, though, parts of it rang very shallow and self-congratulatory.  Each chapter is based on a lie that Rachel has told herself during her life and how she found ways to create truth, how to live a better, more authentic life.  Apparently, at her age (nearly 8 years younger than me), she has figured it all out.  Don't get me wrong - there are some important ideas here, but it really grated on me that her privileged and wealthy experience isn't acknowledged as a huge piece of why she can go out and do everything she wants to do.  Yes, I get that she had to work to get there - but I feel like she never stepped back from her OWN perspective and validated the fact that some women may NOT actually be able to just GO MAKE THEIR GOALS HAPPEN just because they WANT to. Some of us have financial/family obligations that just make our big dreams not really a thing right now unless we want to shirk responsibilities that are a really big deal. 

Mostly I felt like it was a giant YAY RACHEL fest that we got to join in.  I did really appreciate a few take away ideas that I found (i.e. being serious about keeping promises that I make to myself, truly being in charge of what I allow to be a part of my life) but other than that I mostly got the impression that  Rachel felt like I should know her and her awesomeness better. And now I do :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...