Saturday, August 18, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (audiobook)

genre: contemporary fiction

3.5 stars

When Rachel‘s boyfriend Nick invites her to go home to Singapore with him for the summer, she sees it as a chance to get to know him better. They have a happy life in academia and New York City but clearly if their relationship is going to go forward, she should know his home, right?  Especially when Nick's best friend is going to be getting married.

Oh my goodness.

What she doesn’t know about that Nick is that he comes from an unthinkably rich and clannish family and along with that comes a completely different lifestyle. Different in the way that regular folks can’t even imagine, this world of Nick's throws Rachel for a loop. Private jets, designer clothing and teams of servants are only the tip of the iceberg in a world where your family connections are your ticket to the "room where it happens."

I had a delightful listen to this one.  It's preposterous and full of soap-opera-esque drama and cavorting and suspense and I was just all in.   Yes, I had work a tiny bit sometimes to suspend my disbelief and sometimes the pacing was a bit wonky.  I really did have to just let go and ride the soap opera wherever it would take me.  It's brain candy.  And I seriously don't need to know every single detail about what everyone is wearing and eating!  But it's so fun to peek into this sort of pretend world where there are just bajillions of dollars to spend and people can be petty about crazy things.  And when I finished, I wanted to know more about what was going to happen to these people, so, there you go.  Three and a half stars for entertaining me and making my long drives go by quickly.

note for sensitive readers:  lots of language here and a few graphic discussions of sex

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...