Saturday, February 27, 2010

Review: Sirens and Sea Monsters: Book Three of Tales From the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osborne


genre: children's literature

In this installment, Odysses has to fight some nasty creatures in the Sea of Monsters: six headed dragons and crazy whirlpool monsters. The poor guy seriously has a rough go of it, it feels as though the gods just have got it in for him, stranded on an island full of animals they are NOT allowed to eat. Odysseus is truly a tragic guy but he tries to be a good leader, which I like. I am still appreciating Osborne's ability to make it accessible and yet still stay very close to the original story. My son is still a giant fan of this series, I think they are preparing him well to enjoy the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series in a couple years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! i don't know who else to ask this question :) When you do an accordion-type book inside a lapbook, how do you keep it from flopping all around? any advice would be appreciated! I'm over at www.corinnesbookreviews.blogspot.com

Hello, just stopped by to answer your question above: I don't have a problem with the accordian booklets if I use light weight paper. If I do them of heavier paper I usually take a piece of ribbon and tape it around the back before attaching to the folder. Then I can tie the booklet closed. Hope that helps!

Jamin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...