Thursday, April 10, 2008

Re-Gifters by Mike Carey, Sonny Liew, Marc Hempel

1 of 6 for the graphic novel challenge

This graphic novel was a quick read. Jen is Korean-American living in South Central L.A. There's two basic story lines - Jen is preparing to be in a national martial arts competition and Jen is in love with a popular boy at school. The story lines are intertwined because said boy is also in the competition and Jen has a seriously hard time finding her "ki" (universal energy, or spirit) because of her infatuation with him.

I didn't like the art as much in this one as I have in other graphic novels - it felt a bit sloppy and slapdash, or maybe it's just not my style. I liked how the idea of re-gifting played into the plot (I won't spoil it) and I did like learning about Korean culture. The ending felt like your typical romantic comedy tie-up-with-a-bow, but it was satisfying none the less. Although it wasn't one of the best I've read, I didn't feel like it was a waste of time either.

3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I have read a couple of other of the graphic novels offered by this company and so far I have to say the best one is The Plain Janes. This one sounds interesting enough to read if I come across it but I won't run out and buy it.

Corinne said...

I really liked Plain Janes. I've also just checked out Good as Lily by the same company - have you tried that one?

Carl V. Anderson said...

No I haven't tried that one but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...