Wednesday, August 5, 2026

The Lion Women of Tehran by Marjan Kamali (audiobook)

genre: historical fiction

Ellie's life in Tehran has pivoted in a deeply upsetting way.  When her father dies, her family is forced to leave their expensive home and move to a rougher part of the city and even at seven years old, she knows she wants a real friend.   She is surprised when a girl walks right into her life and becomes that friend - Homa.  Homa who is adventurous and passionate and driven.  The two become inseparable but as the 1950s turn into the 1960, politics and religion begin to play a role in both of their lives, neither of them imagining how their beloved Iran will change.   

On the one hand, I feel like this book gave me an intimate look at what Iran was like before the Islamic Republic.  I really appreciated that about it and I did get a wonderful sense of the culture, both for better and worse.  The plot is believable, I think, I have no complaints about that and I do love stories about female friendship.  I just honestly couldn't see what Homa saw in Ellie.  She's not a very likable character as a girl and young adult, at least not through the conversations and interactions that we are party to as a reader.  Homa feels bigger than life and I just kept wondering why she stayed friends with Ellie.  The dialogue, especially the mom's, was very caricatured, but overall, as a historical fiction story, it kept my attention and I feel a deep compassion for what the people of Iran had and what they lost.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...