Sunday, August 9, 2026

Tender Is the Flesh by Agustina Bazterrica , Sarah Moses (Translator)

genre: dystopia/horror

I literally don't know what to say about this book.  I'd never heard of it and all of a sudden in one two, two friends posted that they'd read it and that it was a LOT.  It made me curious, I'm not gonna lie.  I don't know how to explain this without spoilers so you'll just have to stop reading this if you don't want to know what's so upsetting about it.

Within one chapter I understood why my friends had the reaction they did: this is a book about what happens to a human society when all sources of meat are no longer a choice.  Humanity has found a way to survive through state-run "special meat" processing plants that slaughter human beings like cows for consumption.  Bleak, right?  Our main character is not sympathetic but his life IS genuinely full of hard things and it reminds you that even when society is literally eating itself, you still have to take care of aging parents and go to work everyday.  

I can see why people would absolutely hate it.  It's told in a rather dry style, which could be the translation, I guess, but it's not particularly literary.  What it is is shockingly descriptive and disgusting sometimes.  Like, just next-level gore and taboo type bloody.  And YET.  Somehow, I was just interested.  I wanted to try and imagine this really base world.  And the end made me cover my mouth with my hand and curse about seven times, so that's something?  I didn't see the end coming at all but WOW it made me think. 

This book IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.  But it was an interesting thought exercise, for sure.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...