Friday, August 21, 2026

Starling House by Alix E. Harrow (audio)

genre: gothic horror/contemporary fantasy

Opal's life in Eden, Kentucky has never been an easy one.  Her escape has always been books - and one book in particular.  A book whose author is actually FROM Eden, creepy legends and all.  But the house that's purported to have belonged to this author just feels off.  And while Opal doesn't love the idea of haunted houses, a chance opportunity allows her to explore the Starling house more closely - and what she sees only makes the idea of a haunted house seem more likely.  Something REAL is afoot in Eden and Opal's going to get to the bottom of it.

This was just a little long for me and a little too windy and convoluted.  By the end I almost felt like I'd missed something crucial but it was still enjoyable.  I did like the Kentucky small-town setting.  Opal is a PILL, there's not a lot to like with how she shoes up in the world but somehow I still found myself rooting for her. I'm reading this for a book trivia and I'll read it one more time in paper form, hopefully that will be a little bit smoother of an experience.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...