Saturday, July 25, 2026

Country People by Daniel Mason (audiobook)

 genre: contemporary fiction

Miles and his family are taking a giant leap.  Leaving behind their Western home, they are moving to small-town Vermont so his wife, Kate, can spend a year teaching Byron at the local university.  Miles' intention is to spend this year completing his dissertation and making the most out of this unique experience.  But Vermont surprises him, in more ways than one.  The (sometimes absurdly) quirky people he meets, the allure of the outdoors and, most surprisingly, a local legend that involves a cave of hidden wonders.

This wasn't quite what I'd expected - I'd loved Northern Wood SO much that I admit, my expectations were high.  This book did not scratch the itch the same way that one did.  It's not quite as serendipitous but still as lyrical. The writing IS so interesting to listen to, but Miles himself is not a particularly lovable character.  He actually drove me sorta nuts - but the story was TOLD well enough that I'm not sorry I stuck with it.  The setting itself IS beautifully rendered and the whole offbeat nature of the town and its inhabitants, while not laugh out loud funny, was definitely entertaining.  3.5 stars.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...