genre: historical fiction
Katey Kontent's life in New York City isn't particularly thrilling but she has her best friend Evey and a job she is good at. But at a jazz club on New Year's Eve in 1937, Katey and Eve meet Tinker Grey. Tinker of the fine coats and nice cars. Tinker who becomes a gateway for both girls into a life of champagne and parties and the finer things in life.
Katey is whip smart and very aware, she's an intriguing character. She's complex in a way that kept me interested because she didn't always read situations the way I would have, but I believed her. The time period is so atmospheric, the clothes and the attitudes felt real without being overdone. There isn't really a plot - in the sense that none of our lives have PLOT, there is just the choices we make and the people we know. It's hard for me to articulate why I enjoyed it so much - but I know that part of it is just how beautifully written, so many sentences stopped me in my tracks and made me THINK for a moment, not in a way that pulled me out of the story but the actual opposite. I dug deeper. And I loved that.
I can't say it's as good as A Gentleman in Moscow (Katey is no Count Alexander), but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.






























No comments:
Post a Comment