Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

genre: science fiction

The infamous Shrike lives on the world of Hyperion. When seven pilgrims from across the Hegemony are called to make their way to Hyperion to face this creature of Armageddon, everything they have learned and all they have experienced will be required if they want to survive.

I really don’t feel like I can say anything more than that. This complex and timely science fiction novel sort of blew my mind. I would never have picked it up, let’s be honest, if my brother had not recommended it to me, but now that I have tried it I’m really grateful I did. Each of the seven pilgrims have their own story to tell and each one gives us a different glimpse of the history that led to the brink of disaster. Every kind of evil is here as well as all kinds of love and sacrifice but that’s in between the battles and the gore. My only real complaint is that it is really long and I realized about 3/4 of the way through that there was no way for the story to be complete before the book was over. I never even got close to the climax but even just hearing all of the pilgrams' stories was really interesting.  I now see there are several other books, that is on me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...