Sunday, August 11, 2024

Twilight Territory by Andrew X Pham (audiobook)

 genre: historical fiction

In a Vietnam whose French colonial legionnaires have just been ousted by the Japanese during WWII, two women, Tuyet and her auntie Coi, are trying to eke out a life for themselves with Tuyet’s young daughter, a small shop and low expectations.  When Japanese army major Yamazaki finds himself interested in Tuyet, her family’s entire life will pivot as her relationship with the Japanese soldier opens some doors while slamming others in a country constantly in a state of political upheaval.  Between the Japanese and the French colonists and local resistance fighters, Tuyet’s wish for a life of love and small happinesses will be turned upside down as violence and political strife wash over Vietnam.

Dang.  This was a depressing book.  I tried it because it is the "Big Library Read" and I do feel like I learned a lot about Vietnam and it was interesting to read about this period from the point of view of local Vietnamese citizens and resistance fighters rather than the invading soldiers.  It’s so violent though. So so violent.  A r*pe scene among others that could be deeply triggering to some readers.  The love story thread just wasn’t enough for me to call this a “romantic” book.  I feel like the third person narrative kept me from ever feeling deeply invested, I wish it had just been told from multiple points of view, as the writing often felt stiff and dry.  

While it did really get slow sometimes, I think I kept with it because there was a part of me hoping that Tuyet could find the kind of peace that all of us long for - a chance to safely raise our children in the place we call home.

*I thought the narrator did a fine job and I never would’ve known how to properly pronounce the names otherwise*

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...