Tuesday, August 6, 2024

The Wild Robot Protects by Peter Brown (audiobook)

genre: middle grade literature

Roz's beloved island is in danger.  Something in the ocean is killing the creatures and plants who live there and soon, Roz knows that even her island won't be able to withstand the poison in the waters.

This is the third book in the series and my 11 year old boys both LOVED the first two.  This is the first time we did the audiobook, as we listened to it on a long drive across the country.  The narrator was great and the production made it a fun listening experience for us.

It is not as tender of a story, necessarily, as the first two.  It is definitely a story of environmentalism and activism and wanting to take care of our earth.  It didn't feel heavy handed to me like it did for other reviewers - my boys and I both felt engaged in the story and all the new characters Roz meets along the way as she tries to save her home.  We were able to have a lot of conversations, in fact, I kept needing to pause because my boys were really thinking about what was happening and the consequences of the choices we make with our planet. 

My boys both gave it five stars, actually.  I'm giving it four because one of the characters felt a little too fantastical to me in the world-building we are used to but I still really did enjoy it.  This series has been such a good find for our family.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...